The chance to clean up: The advantages of targeted data migration
Some may see data migration as a chore when introducing new IT systems. However, it is exactly the opposite: Data migration is a great opportunity to systematically cleanse and reprocess data and, if necessary, enrich it with external data. That’s why it’s important to plan data migration early on and execute it cleanly. This way, you can selectively sort out legacy data and completely merge all important data. Work with optimal data quality in your new IT system. Avoid time-consuming manual reworking. Rely on a proven methodology and reliable tools.
Important steps for a clean data migration:
As a basic principle, keep in mind that data migration is not just an IT issue. Business departments and end users in particular often know the weak points of the previous system and what errors it may contain. It therefore makes sense to involve these specialist departments in the process and the subsequent migration test run. The following steps are crucial for a successful process:
- Early inventory analysis: What data exists? Where is it located?
- Planning the scope of the migration: What data do we need to take with us? What will we need in the future?
- Diagnosis of weak points: Where are any existing errors? What needs to be improved, cleaned up or merged?
- Transfer of the source structures to the data structures of the target system: Which data should be transferred where?
- PPlanning, implementation and testing of the migration process. If possible, this step should be fully automated, or at least partially automated.
Which tools do I need for a successful data migration?
TOLERANT offers you many useful tools that can be easily integrated into the process described above:
- TOLERANT Match checks if there are duplicates in customer masters. The software can also enrich and complete customer data with external sources.
- TOLERANT Match merges data from different sources (e.g. accounting, CRM, web portal).
- TOLERANT Post standardizes and validates addresses.
- TOLERANT Name helps to find data entry errors in names.
- TOLERANT Move finds relocation addresses and provides new addresses of customers.
An exemplary migration flow could look like this:
All TOLERANT products can be perfectly combined with standard tools for data flow processes. These so-called ETL (Extraction Transformation Load) tools automate the migration process. After a successful test run, you can then perform the actual migration smoothly within a few hours.
TOLERANT experts at your side
TOLERANT’s team of experts has already successfully planned, supported and executed numerous migration projects. We have many years of experience, tried-and-tested procedural patterns and proven processes. We will be happy to advise you on how to perform a successful data migration with TOLERANT products.